February 16, 2012

praise you in this storm.


I briefly shared last week that my laptop up and died on me. I had no idea it was coming and I was actually planning to save everything on an external hard drive last weekend since it had been acting a little finicky. But...I never got to do that.

Anyway, Friday--to say the least--was a little stressful. Last week, actually was not so great at all.

But it's also been a learning time for me. A time for me to practice praising God through this storm of mine. Some of you might recognize that last phrase as lyrics to Casting Crown's "Praise You in this Storm." It's sort of been my song of the week.

And it's been really hard. It's hard for me to be optimistic when I'm stressed, frustrated, and worried. I already had midterms and tons of reading to get through. But while my laptop was making this loud obnoxious beeping noise, I was trying to be optimistic.

And trust me, it was hard.

I wanted to just take back a few hours. I wanted to be able to restore my laptop. Get back my photos, my stories, my resume, and my projects. I wanted it all back.

But then this song, went through my mind and I realized that I need to think optimistically.

At least I had a working computer and I have access to one now (thanks Mom and Dad!). At least I have a job that can help me pay for more. At least I have family members who are helping my find a replacement. At least I don't have any huge projects due that require my computer. At least I have God to help me through this storm.



Note: I realize this really isn't a storm in comparison to many of the struggles others around me are facing. I get it. And I realize just how spoiled and self-centered I may come across. I mean, this is really a first-world problem, right? But I'm trying to better myself. All I ask is that you give me some slack. Because everyone deserves some slack.

Anyway, here's a verse that popped into my head. It was an old memory verse from 2nd or 3rd grade that my Sunday School teachers turned into a little song/rhyme. Fortunately for you, I'm not going to sing it.

"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus" (1st Thessalonians 5:16-18).

No comments

Post a Comment

© IN ITS TIMEMaira Gall