February 25, 2013

a second welcome.

smiless

Sometimes I don't think an about page serves enough of an introduction to me. I know, who would have thought that a simple (read: boring) girl like me would need so many words and blog posts about herself?

Yeah, that's probably why I have a blog. But I digress...

I wanted to do a second welcome post because I think there are a few things I've either left out or edited out because of space, wordiness, and well, to prevent you from leaving said blog.

So here are a few things that you should know about me:

1. The words "I digress" and "anyway" often show up on this blog. It's a bad habit of mine.

2. I'm currently a college student with one month left of school. Like exactly one month!

3. My current career goal is to become an elementary school teacher, but I also have a passion for teaching people how to be teachers (i.e. a high school child development teacher) and teaching preschool as well. Oh, and teen moms. I love them and would be honored to work with them someday. So we'll see where He takes me.

bunny

4. I'm 100% Japanese and love it. I don't really do much to embrace my Asianness, but it's a part of me that I love and am grateful to have. Even if I hold my chopsticks incorrectly.

5. I lost a lot of weight when I was a freshman in college. I was pretty overweight growing up and hated it. I credit a lot of my new self to my freshmen year of college. I learned how important my family is, that dorm life was not for me, and that I need to depend on God instead of food for comfort and rescue.

6. I'm unemployed. I used to be a TA, but then had to stop because of my class schedule + internship at the preschool. These days, I've been doing a lot of babysitting and love it. Who would've guessed I would be babysitting more now than I did in high school?

7. I hated chocolate until I was in middle school (or high school?). These days, dark chocolate is my favorite energy booster (I don't drink coffee, tea, energy drinks, or soda).

8. I think a lot about having kids and a family (in the way future, btw). I blame it on the teacher and family girl in me. I've even written about the names I love (which have likely changed and will continue to change as well).

9. I'm learning how to swing dance right now and love it. It's a great way to start my week (and mornings!).

bwbooks

10. I blog a lot about my singleness. I never would have thought this would open up so many relationships with others and am grateful that it has. Although I sometimes wonder if I blog about it too much. Let me know if this happens, ladies! Please, keep me accountable.

11. I also blog with hopes to come across as real and imperfect. I used to be a perfectionist (okay, I still can be), but I've also realized that God did not make me perfect. He made me imperfect so that I could realize how perfect my life is with Him in it. You can read more about my faith here.

12. I live at home with my parents, two sisters, and crazy pets. And I love every single one of them. Except the goldfish. We're just on liking terms (I'm not a fan of fish).

So whether you've been reading from the start, or for a few days (or minutes perhaps?). Welcome. Again. And I love you. And I want to thank you for being here. Times a million.

Post inspired by this girl and this girl, too.

19 comments

  1. I've been reading for a couple weeks now... love this little intro! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! And thanks for sticking around. I love reading your comments! :)

      Delete
  2. I've been reading for a couple of weeks now too, and I am loving getting to know you better! I might just *borrow* your intro post idea and write one up for my little blog since there have been some new folks rambling about in The Nest. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! These are some of my favorite kinds of blog posts to read. And it's definitely a great way to get to know other bloggers! :)

      Oh, and thanks for reading! I love getting to know my readers.

      Delete
  3. Love this post, lady! I feel like I got to know you a lot better :) Congrats on being so close to done with college!! I can't wait to watch as God unfolds the next chapter of your life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and thanks again! I love reading these kinds of posts so I thought that it was about time for me to make one of my own. And I'm feeling the same way about graduating! I'm ready to be done (yet not at the same time) and mostly excited to see what comes up next for me in life. :)

      Delete
  4. You are seriously SO cute! I'm so happy to start following your blog! LOVE your openess! Also LOVE that picture "comparison is the thief of all joy"...where did you get that? Much love sweet girl, love Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks! And what an amazing compliment--I hardly consider myself that open but have really grown in my faith in the past few months because of my readers and God's plans for me. So thanks! It's definitely an encouragement to keep putting myself out there. :)

      And that pretty print? It's from Lindsay's shop, Pen and Paint. It's so pretty and I love it. And such a great daily reminder for me, too!

      Delete
  5. love this post! i nannied all through college…it was the best job/is my dream job. and by dream job, i mean be a stay at home mom :)

    p.s. swing dancing is SO fun. i'm not very good, like at all, but i do enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you want to be a stay at home mom. Even though I want to teach, I definitely want to be a stay at home mom, too. And if I can't be a stay at home mom, at least I'll have the summer's off to sorta be one! :)

      And yes, nannying/babysitting is so much fun. I seriously love it.

      And oh my goodness, you swing dance!?! That's so cool. I'm definitely not very good but I love it nonetheless. Love all of our similarities, friend!

      Delete
  6. GREAT post!! I use a lot of '.....' in my blog hahah! I love your blog, seriously. It's honest, refreshing, beautiful, and so much fun! I'm so glad i get to read it! and can i just say a big'ol GO YOU for not having caffeine in your diet?! I drink coffee, and i try not to drink it daily...but meh it happens. HA! It was a habit i picked up in college....woot woot. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that we have that in common when it comes to writing our blog posts!

      And thanks for the compliments on my blog! I honestly feel the same way about your blog and I love that we have our blogs and comments to encourage one another!

      Honestly, I feel a little weird not doing the whole caffeine-thing, but I just can't stand the taste of tea or coffee (whether it's hot or cold!). A lot of my peers (and bloggers!) think it's weird, but it's just an odd quirk of mine. :)

      Delete
  7. This is fun, Kiki! I might adopt it for a later post, if you're not partial to being copying you! After all, imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. :)

    You don't like fish? **sniff sniff* (Refer back to my name in your email inbox for reference if you don't get this *wink*)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh and gral, you're SO not blogging to much about singleness! That's one of the things that grabs me about your blog, is that you're so open and honest about singleness and the victories/struggles thereof! Keep it up, lady! There's a wealth of other single girls out there that need a "single girl" community!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you should definitely copy this post. I've gotten inspiration to do these kinds of posts from other bloggers so no hurt feelings about copying! And funny you should say that imitation is the best form of flattery--my parents told me that all the time when I was growing up and my sisters would copy me.

      And no, I'm not a fish lover. But that doesn't mean I don't like you! :)

      And I'm glad you don't think I talk about my singleness too much. I sometimes worry that people are put off from my posts so I'm glad you think just the opposite! And I totally agree, in the blogging world, there needs to be a strong single girl community!! That's why I'm so glad I have you! :)

      Delete
  9. I'm excited to be introduced to your world- I think its awesome that you blog about singleness. I think if I've learned anything its that God uses our pain and weaknesses the most. And one thing I do know about my singleness is that He is amazingly able to meet ALL our EMOTIONAL needs that we think a guy can fill. He's the best Lover of our Soul. I'm so thankful for my single time which taught me that truth. And honestly, its made me better within a human relationship because I'm not so dependent on being filled by another person. It freed me to just enjoy him with no expectations. So all that to say. Trust that God is using this single time to make you the best person you can be for someone equally amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks! Blogging about my singleness is and can be so hard for me even if it's so incredible rewarding and therapeutic, too. So thank you for the encouragement to keep writing about it! It's definitely an important lifestage for me right now and I've really made some great blogging friendships through these posts.

      And thank about the encouragement about deepening my relationship with Him! That's one thing I'm super grateful for right now. And I'll definitely keep your advice in mind--that's so great that you're dependent on God and not people to fulfill your needs. That's something I definitely think a lot about these days.

      Thank you, thank you, new friend! :)

      Delete
  10. This was so fun to read, Kiki! I don't think I realized you were 100% Japanese. That makes you 50% more Japanese than me ;). Have you ever been to Japan or hope to visit? I completely agree with #8. I have lists upon lists with names and their meanings that I so love. I'm gonna check out that post!

    And seriously, you are doing an amazing job at this whole blogging thing. I mean, you are consistent, fun, honest, and original. So. Good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I am! But, no I've never actually been to Japan. It would be a lot of fun to visit, but I'm thinking that would be in the far future! Have you?

      I'd love to find out about your fave names and their meanings! That's one of my favorite kinds of posts to read. :)

      Oh, and thanks! That was a super sweet compliment. It definitely means a lot to be called all four of those adjectives. I think you are the same on your blog, too!

      Delete

© IN ITS TIMEMaira Gall