September 23, 2013

LIFE LATELY.

moon1
Today's Blogtember Prompt: A "life lately" post. What you're up to, how you're feeling, how you're doing on your goals, etc. Bonus points for great photos!

It's funny that this is today's prompt because I've actually been meaning to as well as wanting to write a post like this for a few days now. Not because anything major has happened lately, but because I've felt a little distant from you guys. I haven't really written a real, gutsy post in awhile.

But I digress. Let's talk life lately. Life lately includes photo-taking with/for friends, soaking in amazing sermons at church, watching adorable kiddos, and job searching. Writing those four things down makes me sound like such an adult, college grad, and old lady. Oh wait, maybe that's who I am now...

These past few weeks I've been learning to enjoy and savor every moment I've got. I've come to realize that I'll likely never have a summer off again in my life and it's turned me into a sappy go-getter. I've been trying to get things done, work on some projects, try some new things, and challenge myself to pursue more of my dreams and passions. It makes me feel old, I tell ya. 

I've also been learning to accept and understand grace. Grace is a complicated word for me. It's one of those words that I've always known exists when it comes to faith and my relationship with Christ but one that I've never really understood. I've since learned that grace means forgiveness, freedom, love, acceptance, and mercy. All of which come without having to meet a certain requirement, having to look a certain way, or having to do a certain thing. We don't earn it, all we need to do is accept it. It's hard for me to accept it some days, but I'm learning that accepting it brings me freedom to live and love and that's exactly what I need right now.

Yesterday morning during church, we sang Oceans by Hillsong United. Many of you have actually recommended or blogged about this very song. And let me just say that this song brought me to tears. It spoke the exact words I needed to hear, needed to say, and needed to pray.


Spirit, lead me where my trust is without borders
Let me walk upon the waters
Wherever you would call me

Take me deeper than my feet would ever wander
And my faith will be made stronger
In the presence of my Savior

Speaking of that song, I highly recommend watching the music video. There are more than two million views and that, my friends, is proof that it's a moving, life-changing song.

Lastly, I want to update you on what else is up in my life. I haven't yet picked (aka found) the right Masters program, but I am applying for jobs and have had one job interview so far. It's nerve wracking, but I keep reminding myself that I can't let fear and the past hold me back. As the wise Mr. Bill Cosby once said, you have to want it more than you're afraid of it.

So I'm learning to be an adult, I'm dabbling in more photography and blog designs, thinking about upgrading my camera later this year, applying for jobs like a real adult, singing songs that bring me to tears, and learning to be brave. If you have a moment, would you pray that we would both be brave and full of faith in God and His promises this week?

So what's happened lately with your life? I so wish I could sit down for coffee with each and every one of you. Let's try and make this possible in the comments, okay? 



25 comments

  1. too much is going on right now.. I can hardly think. I need to hit pause and try to slow down a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feeling, Hena! Life always seems to be a little crazy. Praying that it slows down for you and that you get a chance to just enjoy the moment--no matter how crazy it may be. :)

      Delete
  2. Blogtember - I love seeing all these posts everywhere!! Sounds like you have a lot going on, lady! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! It's fun to see everyone's take on these kinds of posts. :) And you know, it's funny that you mention that about my life because there are definitely days when I feel like there's nothing going on in my life and that I'm working for nothing. So thank you for the reminder that a lot is going on right now and I have much to be thankful for. It probably wasn't your intention while writing that, but I so needed to read it! :)

      Delete
  3. Two things; Love that photo and love that song. Have you listened to the entire album? Did you know it's on their Youtube channel so you can just listen to it all day long... that's what I have been doing...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3O_pAOiGuo&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PL3deMd8-p5ledZn1Uy50Bg9girjnjQmGg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Samantha! That was actually a photo from a photoshoot with one of my friends last week. :) And no, I haven't had a chance to listen to the entire album! I've been obsessing over that one song but I'll definitely be heading over to that link asap (I'm actually listening to Hillsong United on Pandora right now!). Thanks for the link!

      Delete
  4. I do so love these "life lately" posts. :) Will be praying for you, my friend. Here's to a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Meghan! I hope you're doing well and I'll be praying for you as well! :)

      Delete
  5. This was such a beautiful post. I love that you embrace your smallness and God's bigness. :) Thanks for sharing!

    Also, this printed reminded me of you: http://www.naptimediariesshop.com/collections/frontpage/products/ecclesiastes-3-11

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer! I love how you put that--I've never really thought about living life that way and I love and am definitely excited about that new perspective about life. It really is all about His greatness, right? :)

      And I LOVE that print! I'm a huge fan of the Naptime Diaries' prints and print shop but hadn't seen that print before. Thanks for sharing it! It definitely fits my blog and life perfectly.

      Delete
  6. What a blessing that God is teaching you so much right now! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, isn't it? It's actually kind of hard to believe sometimes! :)

      Delete
  7. I am LOVING your new design! Kiki, your hard work mixed with your talent really pays off so nicely – every single time. The comment box you have going on here also looks updated! (the littlest things make me all excited if you haven't noticed!)

    The past few weeks I have been trying not to let fears hold me back, either. Thanks for sharing that Cosby quote... I haven't heard it in a really long time. It serves as a good reminder for all of us...

    I'm looking forward to seeing what's on the horizon for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sweet friend! Although, I can't take any credit for the new look in the comments section. I actually just noticed that Blogger changed it this morning (not sure why/when that happened!). It was definitely a surprise to see!

      And you have such an eye for detail, if I do say so myself! Not many people notice (or take the time to tell me) about the little changes that happen over here on this blog. :)

      I so agree with you on the Bill Cosby quote. I actually have it up next to my bed so I can see it and remind myself to pursue my hopes and dreams instead of letting them pass before my eyes. It's definitely a good reminder for everyone.

      I, too, am excited for what the future holds for me! It's been a daily struggle to give my life fully to Him and to choose Him over my plans and wants. I've been praying over a job opportunity and am now just waiting to hear back from them now. It's definitely helped me in the patience department! :)

      Delete
  8. I will definitely be praying for you sister!
    Love the Bill Cosby quote!
    Also, love that song! Just found it the a few weeks ago, and i love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the prayers, girl! They're much (MUCH) appreciated and I am so grateful for friends like you. :)

      And that Bill Cosby quote is one of my faves. And so is the song, it's amazing!

      Delete
    2. Thanks girl! I am grateful for you too!
      I agree. Definitely worth listening too :)

      Delete
  9. I'm going to have to listen to that song. One of my favorites by them is Aftermath. And life lately for me has been crazy as well. The Lord is showing me lots of different areas that I need to work in and I just feel like he is about to take me on a crazy ride. And I don't think I'm fully buckled in... I'm pretty sure I'm still walking up the steps to get in line. haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you should! Samantha, another blogging friend, actually commented earlier and told me that Hillsong United has a Youtube channel where you can listen to the entire album online! I've been listening to it in the background so I'm sure I've heard Aftermath. :)

      And I so understand and know how you feel. Seriously, it must be a twenty-something college grad thing! :) I, also, am unsure if I'm ready for all that that God's got planned for me, but I know that if He's there with me, it's gotta be good, right?

      Delete
  10. It's been a while, dear friend! But it seems like today was the perfect day to stumble back to your blog! It's good to be updated as to what you've been up to and to hear that things are good, really good.

    I also think this blog design is the bomb diggety! I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Miss Erika! :) It has indeed been awhile, but I'm partially to blame as well! I've seen various shout-outs and such via social media networks about your Everyday Happy class and I'm proud of this amazing new journey you're taking on! I hope everything with that is going well and that you're doing well, too!

      You're right, things are really good. Like really, really good. It's almost hard for me to believe! I've been taking time to really learn to count my blessings (instead of take them for granted) and I've also been learning to really savor each moment (as I mentioned in my post).

      And thank you! I needed to freshen up the place and I've been wanting to make some changes to the look of this blog to sort of go with the changes I've been going through. I'm glad you like it!

      Delete
  11. LOVE Oceans... but I think you knew that already. ;) Praying for you friend! Definitely sounds like a productive day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the prayers, my friend! They're much appreciated. :)

      And Oceans is SO good! I've heard it a few times before but I actually took the time to let the lyrics sink into my heart and mind--oh goodness, cue the waterworks!

      Delete
  12. "we don't earn it - all we need to do is accept it" ...amen sister!
    also...having your last "summer" - is hard and freeing at the same time. I will say, now that I've had 3 years of NO summers - I miss them. :) Trying to cram everything into a 2 day weekend never seems like enough time.
    <3
    growing up can be challenging - but it is also very rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always love it when you quote me. It makes me re-read what I've written and it helps it all sink in just a little deeper. So thanks for doing that! :)

      My last summer ended on Friday (with pouring rain, of course). Let's just say I kinda miss it already. Even though I don't have homework or anything, two day weekends are definitely not long enough!

      That's good to hear--growing up is definitely proving to be hard but remembering that there are rewards and benefits to growing up is exactly what I need to do. If only all of the paperwork and stuff would work itself out on its own! :)

      Delete

© IN ITS TIMEMaira Gall